Saturday, August 18, 2012

Puff Pastry Serenade

When I was a kid, my mom used to make those delicious puff pastry "Cheese Pockets". They're super easy to make and taste amazing. Ever since then I've been a great fan of puff pastry and a recipe I saw on abeautifulmess.com  made me want to experiment again.

I made two types of tarts - sweet and salty. Let's start with the salty ones:

You will need:
1 Tomato
100-200g Mozzarella 
Olive oil
Oregano
The yolk of one egg

First, you have to smear yolk on all the tarts. Then you put the mozzarella as a base but don't cut it too thick because it melts and you don't want your tarts to get... hm... cheesy. Add 2-3 pieces of sliced tomato and olive oil. The oregano comes last.
Bake at 180-200 degrees [C] for about 20 minutes. [Take a look at the tarts every 8-10 minutes because they might be ready sooner, depending on your oven's skills. Mine is playing tricks on me...]

That's what I got in the end.

Now the sweet ones. I actually learned how to make them a few months ago when I was having lunch with my Latvian friend. They are really easy to make, simple but tasty.

You will need:
1. Yolk/Honey 
2. Sugar
3. Cinnamon

You just have to smear yolk or honey on your tarts and powder with sugar and cinnamon. If you use honey, keep in mind that the cinnamon probably won't be on the tarts when you take them out of the oven and they will look like puff pasty with nothing on them BUT they're sweet and tasty. 
Unfortunately, mine won't win the tarts beauty pageant but they were still delicious.


These recipes are both really easy and take about 20 minutes to make, so if you find yourself having puff pastry, being hungry and having just a little time, these tarts are just the right thing for you.

Enjoy!

- P.


No comments:

Post a Comment